Breathing with Horses - An Interactivity

Spending half a day at Westwind Farms in Pitt Meadows was a delight. I find myself getting caught in the hustle and bustle of the city often. I can not remember the last time I was around a horse. They are really magnificent animals. To me, they represent strength, vitality and vigour. Since animals do not have cognitive thinking, they exist in their senses. I noticed how I had to tap into my senses and breath, if I wanted to connect to them. The horse I felt the most connected to is named Legs. I didn't know what was the best way to touch a horse, and was guided by one of the trainers on how to do so. The more that I stroked him under his neck and more I grounded I became. I think he liked it too because his eyes got heavy, and he became very still. I too became very still and grounded in his presence. Erica joked that it was the calmest she had seen me, and I agree, I felt so calm. There were no thoughts, only feelings of wonderment and awe for this beautiful horse.

I noticed when I would jump or react to his gestures, he would was get started, and the energy exchange between us would shift. I noticed too how easily I jump as well, being startled easily from anxiety. I appreciated the talk on paying attention to the gestures of the horses as an indicator of their mood. When I am irritated I furrow from brow, and when I am stressed I slump my shoulders. This made me become aware of how to need to slow down and ground into my body and breath.

The interactivity that I shared with the class was in the stable where I asked our group to stand in a circle, close their eyes and connect to their breath. Each day we take approx. 23,000 breaths, how many do we actually notice? The practice of mindful yoga asks that we notice our breaths a minimum of 10-15 times a day to start. To notice the breath is to feel the soft flow of the inhale and exhale through the nostrils. The slightly cooler air coming in, and the warmer air being expelled. The breath acts as a gateways to our feelings and sensations in the body. This brings us into the present moment.

Similarly, I invited the yoga practice of standing in Tadasana (Mountain Pose). This posture starts in the feet, noticing the alignment of the feet, working towards finding a parallel stance. Noticing the feet connected to the earth can be a very grounding practice. From this, I invited an awareness of softening the knees, as well as holding a neutral pelvic bowl where the hips are not tilting forward or backwards. By keeping the pelvis in a neutral position it can help to relieve back pressure. Moving up the body, the shoulders roll back, the chest is open and the head is centred, with the chin and jaw soft, and in align with the spine. To stand tall like a mountain is to notice the strength and stability of our bodies as we invite stillness into our posture.

When our posture is grounded and our breath flowing, we can centre ourselves in the present moment. When we are centred, it is easier to approach the other, being human or animal, as the connection comes from a calm place. This interaction can become one that supports harmony and ease. The practice of breath awareness and mountain posture, takes only a few minutes, and when practiced a few times throughout the day can be beneficial to our health, especially if struggling with stress and anxiety.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The young child caring for the adult

40-day Self Care Challenge

Episode 1 - Journey into Healing Interview